Home About The Fame! Contact

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Pumpkin Spice Cake

The Bundt Returns


A week or so ago, on one of my ill-fated and poorly planned jaunts around town on the day before I leave for a long trip and have to buy tickets, pay bills, pick up dry cleaning and iron my way to victory, yet still think there'll be time to meet a friend for coffee and/or bottle several kilos of President plums in honey, rum and cardamom, I saw something exciting.

It's always the ironing that doesn't get done, by the way. You know, I think the difference between Over-Achievers and the rest of us is that Over-Achievers make shorter lists. I should take note.

Anyway, I saw a man wearing a Linus T-shirt which read 'I Invented EMO', and immediately wanted to trade clothing. I love Linus. Realistically, I'm more of a Charlie Brown, but in my head, I'm a blanket holder. I even went as far as to find an online seller of the tee, but was deeply saddened to find that it comes only in XL. I'm not getting fat for a slogan. I'm sorry, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Now, Linus always reminds me of pumpkins, and vice versa. Reading about him awaiting the Great Pumpkin in the pumpkin patch during the run up to Halloween in the daily comic strips when I was a child made the huge American squashes seem so exotic and enchanting. I think we did once make a pumpkin pie, but it we mistakenly used one of those Jack-O-Lantern carving pumpkins and our pie filling was watery and tasteless. I've since learned that American cooks unashamedly used canned pumpkin in baked goods and it's the best way to ensure you get that rich flavour.

I know that it isn't even nearly Halloween time, but thinking about Linus and the Great Pumpkin reminded me of all the pumpkins Mr. Other P and I saw in Monterey last year after our whale-less whale watching boat trip. If I can find a photo at home, I'll add it later. Point is, pumpkin seemed a great flavour for a cake to mark our anniversary.

This is a lovely cake. If you don't have a bundt tin, a 25cm by 25cm deep sided tin would do nicely.

I'll be busy this weekend, but hope to have some exciting posts coming next week. Come back for those!

Mr. P's Pumpkin Spice Cake

You will need:

200g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
250g soft brown sugar
50g Brazil nuts, chopped
3 eggs
190ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 x 400g tin pumpkin puree

  1. Grease and flour a large bundt tin. Mine has a 2.5 litre/10 cup capacity. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
  2. Mix the flour, bicarb., baking powder, salt and spices in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
  3. Beat the eggs lightly; add the sugar, oil, vanilla and pumpkin. Mix well and add the nuts.
  4. Fold in the flour mixture and scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is well combined.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out without crumbs.
  6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

8 comments:

  1. Line drawing aside (that was to funny),
    How good are Halloweeny flavours?
    This cake looks and sounds MOST Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps: Do you ever start your To Do lists with something you've already done just so you can cross it off? Not that I would do any such thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do do that. I'm not proud of myself though.

      Delete
  3. Mr P, I love a good pumpkin cake AND that gorgeous swirly bundt pan. Wish I had a place to put another bundt pan, I'd run right out and get that one. But, alas, I would have to get rid of something to make room for it, and I can't bear to part with a single item. (I'm very attached to my kitchen gadgets.) Guess I'll have to make the cake in my ordinary old original bundt pan. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the cake using the same tin, which I rushed out to get when it appeared on your blog many moons ago. The cake was a great success, none of it was left stuck to the tin when I turned it out (such a relief) and it got me the star baker award at the MacMillan coffee morning !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear god. I've always wanted to make a pumpkin dessert but those damned eggs get in the way every time. Maybe I should experiment with your recipe? At the risk of tarnishing my own name, not yours. I remember that cute comic strip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this cake looks lush, and the use of the bundt tine looks really effective.

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails