Home About The Fame! Contact

Monday 10 March 2014

Re-Inventing the Lamington 2014: The Round-Up!

I know. This is late. All I can say is that if you were me, and had my life (and more importantly, my lack of skill with an iPad Mini), you would also find blogging remotely in hotel rooms a nightmare.

I can only apologise for taking forever to get this post together. I get so jet lagged on layovers that it is really hard to motivate myself. But I am back home now, and making it happen. Rejoice.

I still don't know how to judge these (I love them all), but your comments or tweets will definitely help, so please let me know your thoughts. I hope to reach a decision by the end of the week.

I am always amazed by the entries I get for this competition, and also touched. I know that lamingtons make mess. Thanks to all who baked, or even just read along.

So, without further ado!


Jana blogs in German and English. (I know, right?) She made me think for a second that I should start publishing in Japanese as well, but then I thought about having to translate myself and it gave me a headache. Jana made Carrot Cake Guglhupf Lamingtons. I love these: read the post. They don't look like lamingtons, but they are super lamington-inspired.


Vivien Lloyd, she of preserving fame, made Marmalade Lamingtons. I bet they were moist and squishy and delicious! How beautiful is this picture by the way? Say hello to her on Twitter - @vivienlloyd. Hell, why not say hello to me as well? @peterdelicious


Michael Toa made lamingtons using Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise. I have to be honest, when I first heard about them I was pretty shocked. The mayo is actually in the cake though, as an ingredient, and the lamingtons are Chocolate and Passion Fruit. Score! Michael has a cute YouTube Channel by the way. Check it out!


Dom, he of Belleau and regular lamington re-invention, did not disappoint this year. He made a Green Tea, Lime and Coconut Lamington Cake. I have always resisted the matcha lamington, but I do not think I would turn his down. Look at those cake layers! Tell him you love them. Tweet @belleaukitchen.







Lou Lou made some Raspberry and Rose Lamingtons. These just look unbelievably perfect. I nearly screamed when I saw them. With joy. Deep joy.


These are Mardi's first entry. I do love a baker with a competitive edge! They are Lami-Choux, and are definitely what Parisians would call 'très choux!'. Up next we have her...


 ...Jaffington Cupcakes. I love the sound of these, and especially love the marmalade in the ganache. It's not just an orange cake with some chocolate on top. Mardi (@eatlivtravwrite) lives in Canada. Gutted it's too far to pop around for one.


Curtis came out of Blog Hibernation (tsk tsk) to post the most unique lamingtons I think I have ever seen. Yes, these are lamingtons inspired by the wonderful Annie Lennox. And Dave Stewart. You may balk at Eurythmics Lamingtons. I say, 'Bring them over here. Now.' That up there is a Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) Lamington, and here we have a There Must Be An Angel Lamington.


They are obviously made of angel food cake. :)





Lucy made Raw Raspberry Lamingtons. The title, when you look at the URL for the link alone, is 'Treat Me Raw Raspberry Lamingtons' - I think they sound pretty saucy!

So, that's it for this year's entrants. Let me know what you think of them - which is your favourite, etc. I have an idea anyway of how I am going to select someone, but decisions can always be informed.

Have a great week!

18 comments:

  1. fab selection... I know who the winner should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful entries, it's making me sad I didn't give it a go this year. I really like the Eurythmic Lamingtons, because I really like the Eurythmics (duh) and the lamingtons themselves are both pretty creative.

    I must say though that the rest of the entries are so elegant. You're going to have a hell of a time judging. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; when I saw the Eurythimics lamingtons, I was a bit like: why have I never thought of this?

      Delete
  3. So gutted I didn't get time to enter =( these ones are all lovely but if I had to pick my two favourites I think I would have to go for Dom's and Jana's though I can't narrow it down anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting the contest again and bringing me out of blogging hibernation. I'm excited to discover a new baking blog that's in German and English. All the Lamingtons look great, but I could devour a pile of Lami-Choux right now. Plus, I've learned a new British term. I had to google what "gutted" meant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Sweet dreams ARE made of these. I would like to try them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab selection! I am SO sorry I did'nt enter. No excuses, I am just crap and have been having a bit of a downer on cooking & blogging like I gets every winter...it will pass.

    But so glad so many other did rise to the challenge. I like the look of Lou Lou's Raspberry and Rose ones best as they look cute and classic, but Dom's Green Tea, Lime and Coconut Lamington Cake also looks amazin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" Lamingtons are making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for Sweet Dreams! AND There Must Be An Angel...some amazing creativity. I love how the themes play into each Lamington's "genetics" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, these lamingtons are amazing. I mean, I thought I had this in the bag, but truly, I am such a beginner at this lamington reinvention game. The Eurythmics ones are genius (though I have a soft spot - or make that, many soft spots - for Jana's carrot cake ones too). Good luck in making that all-important decision! Why don't you make them all and test them all that way? Come on, what do you mean you don't have enough time on your hands? Where's your commitment?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a FAB roundup Peter! Good luck picking a winner - there are too many amazing options!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So hard to pick a favourite, as they all sound and look great. the creativity involved in the Eurythmic Lamingtons is impressive!
    I would love to taste the Japanese Mayo ones, and also the Raw Raspberry Lamingtons.
    But to be honest, I think I would like to try them all!
    So nice to see others trying to get the Lamington out into the world! I did a TV show last year to try and get it on the market, but sadly the show did not air! so now opening my own cafe to get them out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There Must be An Angel gets my vote in a really good line-up, largely for the creativity whilst STILL keeping within the parameters of a lamington. And toasted coconut meringue? Get in ( my face!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All fab entries! I want to try all of them... but if I have to pick one I really want to eat right now, it's Lou's raspberry and rose lamingtons. Yum!
    I wish you good luck making the decision. No pressure :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely There Must Be An Angel Lamington, because duh, and also because angel food cake is so delicious these must be AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi peter!
    i find it really amazing how many interesting contributions you get every year - re-invent the lamington is definitely one of my favorite blog-events!
    actually i post in german, because i'm mostly too lazy to translate my recipes to english. but sometimes i'm making exceptions ;)

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails