Home About The Fame! Contact

Thursday 26 January 2012

Re-Inventing the Lamington 2012 Day Ten: Half and Half Lamingtons


(In which Mr. P makes a half-arsed attempt at justifying shoddy ideas.)

Happy Australia Day folks!

These are not the most inspired lamingtons of my life, let's face it.

The idea was there; I wanted to re-create the half and half cookies I eat whenever I'm in New York. It's been far too long since I was last there, and there's a little deli I know that does really yummy sugar cookies with that well-known, half black half white icing. I thought it would really work as a lamington, and it isn't that it is bad so much as it's just... Kind of like a regular lamington, only dipped in white chocolate. I feel slightly fraudulent claiming that they've been 'Re-Invented'.

Still. Let's not moan. It's the end of my Ten Days of Re-Invention. It's been really fun this year! You know, the last one is always a bit of a 'Scrape the Barrell Lamington', since I've usually run out of steam, but I've made some truly yummy lams in 2012 so I'm not going to feel bad. The popcorn versions were sensational! I'm also pleased to say that there has been a steady stream of entries for my prize draw from you lovely lot, and I can't wait to share them with you all. Remember, the deadline is 31 January. You still have the weekend to bake up a storm!

Before I give you the recipe for these (it's basic butter cake again, so you know they taste of sin), I'm just wondering if any of you readers live in areas that are famous for baking? New York has its half and half cookies, and well, Australia obviously has its lamingtons. What about where you live?

And before you ask: no. Cardiff is not famous for Krispy Kreme. Though it is famous for Welsh Cakes. Maybe I should post a recipe for those...

Half and Half Lamingtons

You will need:

175g plain flour
175g soft butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk

500g plain chocolate
200g dessicated coconut
150g white chocolate
  1. First, make the butter cake. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin, and pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
  2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla together until you have a smooth batter. Scrape this into the prepared cake tin and level out. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cake tests done. That means that when you stick a cocktail stick (or a piece of spaghetti!) into the centre of the cake, it will come out clean, without any uncooked batter clinging to it.
  3. Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack, and when completely cold, turn out and slice into 16 squares.
  4. Melt the plain chocolate, cool slightly and have ready the coconut in a separate dish. Make your lamingtons: working quickly, dip the cake cubes into the chocolate and immediately roll them in the coconut.
  5. Allow the cubes of cake to dry for an hour, then melt the white chocolate and repeat the dipping. However, this time, only dip the lamingtons half way. I didn't like the way they looked when rolled in coconut for a second time, but you can do so if you wish. There should be enough coconut.

Re-Invent the Lamington Yourself!

9 comments:

  1. These look delicious! And doesn't scraping the bottom of the barrel (or bowl) produce the tastiest last few bites? Yes, it does.
    I don't think London's really famous for any specific dessert, but my Godfather lives in Nanaimo, Canada, home of the excellent Nanaimo bar (a must make, fo shiz).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a ten days Mr P! Really enjoyed reading all your reinventions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh... Winston-Salem, NC is my home town... which is famous for Krispy Kreme! I am now in Augusta, GA, which is famous for a green jacket one weekend out of the month. When I ask people where to eat locally, they answer, "Aw, ma-yan. I luuuuuv me some Carrabba's!" Drat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr P, I really must make 2012 my Year of the Lamington! I've just been baking a simple little English treat, but when I want something a bit fancier I must try one of your Lamingtons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found you via Sweetoplita. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very bossy Mr P, but I just got some lamingtons posted. Chestnut ones, just a bit late (for Christmas, Australia Day etc). I am still hoping to get a chiffon version done to go with my Spice School homework.
    :)
    http://marymaryculinary.blogspot.com/2012/01/chestnut-lamingtons.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for Re-Inventing the Lamington again this year. I love the combinations you put together.

    I have put a re-invented lamington together here: http://heressomethingipreparedearlier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post. I didn't see a Lamington I didn't want. I saw several that will soon be in my kitchen. I am new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a beautiful spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails